Welcome back to the Remodel Your Reality Challenge! Your ability to relate measures your capacity to establish connection, rapport, and intimacy with another human being. Throughout my work as a coach, I’ve studied people who are masters at relating. These people have developed deep, meaningful relationships that they’ve sustained over long periods of time.
Using those relationships as a model, I’ve created seven principles of relating. These are life-tested principles. When you use them, you will experience a more significant closeness with the people in your life.
The Seven Principles of Relating:
- Be Willing to Risk
- Be Available
- Be Interested, Not Just Interesting
- Be Who You Are
- Don’t Make Assumptions
- Accept Without Condition
- Give What You Want to Receive
One Thing To Think About
Your ability to develop and nurture strong bonds with others will allow you to enjoy true intimacy. When you integrate these seven principles into your approach to relating, your existing relationships will become more satisfying and your ability to forge new connections will improve.
One Question To Answer
Which of the seven principles are strong points for you in your relationships with others? Which need work?
One Challenge To Take
Evaluate how well you currently use each of the seven principles in your relationships. For each one, answer the following questions:
- How well do you apply this principle to your relationships with others?
- How well do you apply this principle to the relationship you have with yourself?
- What could you do to begin strengthening your ability to apply this principle to the relationships you have with yourself and others?
Until next time, take care!